Q: I hear a water sloshing sound when I start and when I stop the car

I recently bought this used car at a dealership. I hear the sound of water sloshing when ever I first crank up the car and occasionally when I start and stop. There is also a weird clicking noise when I turn off the air. Everything I have researched says that there is possibly a blockage in the ac line and the system just needs to be bled. The ac works though it is not as cold as it could be. I took it to a local mechanic and he said that the compressor needs to be replaced. I do not want to pay 1000+ especially if that is not the problem. Should I get a second opinion? How likely is it that the compressor needs to be replaced as compared to a more minor problem?

A: Hi there. Getting a second opinion is alway...

Hi there. Getting a second opinion is always advisable when it comes to working on your vehicle. The sloshing sound you hear, when your vehicle starts, most likely is air trapped in the heater core. The solution to this problem is to have the coolant system flushed. The clicking sound when the air is turned off, most likely is an actuator that controls the temperature blend door, the mode door, the recirculation door in the air distribution housing. This may account for the AC not blowing as cold as it could. There is the possibility, the AC system refrigerant is low. This could be result of a leaking AC compressor. I recommend having your vehicle’s heating and AC system be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician from YourMechanic.