Q: Engine ticks on a 2006 Acura TL

I have a 2006 Acura TL. It has a tick in the engine that sounds like lifters but I don't think it is. What could it ibe?

A: The only ticking sounds that you generally ...

The only ticking sounds that you generally get are either the valves are out of the adjustment, the lifters are bad themselves, or the fuel injectors are ticking.

So get yourself a little stethoscope and listen around. Maybe it's the fuel injectors. If you think it's the fuel injectors, get plugs off on of the fuel injectors, and if the fuel injector stops ticking, then you'll know that's the problem and replace that.

If it's not, then it's inside the engine and it's an expensive job, because you have to take the engine apart on one of those Acuras. But, the first thing you should do is conduct an engine flush, then put in full synthetic oil and a quart of Lucas oil additive. A lot of times, that can lubricate it and really stop a lot of ticking engines. I've seen it help out a lot.

If the problem persists and you are unable to find the ticking sound, you can have the noise diagnosed by a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic. They will be able to determine what needs repair.