Q: I am smelling what seems to be exhaust and or radiator coolant inside of my car.

asked by on December 23, 2016

I have a check engine light on inside of my 2007 audi s6. Took it to auto zone and the cause is a faulty vacuum hose near the air intake system. Is the root cause of smell or could it be cabin air filter related?

Smell in the car Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Coolant is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If you think you’re smelling coolant inside your Audi, then you probably are. I can’t say that coolant smells like exhaust, but I guess that is subjective. Audi has always had problems with leaky heater cores, so when your car gets some years and some miles on it, it’s not unlikely that you’ll detect a coolant smell in the car. You might also notice a kind of a greasy film on the windshield when the defroster is on. The vacuum leak that you found at Auto Zone could account for codes and a check engine light, but would not lead to smells inside the car. You should get tested for a coolant leak. If you contact Your Mechanic, they can send a technician to your home or office to check out your bad smells and pressure test your cooling system if that seems appropriate. Then they can tell you what it’s going to take to solve your problem.