Q: What does the “CHECK BRAKE SYSTEM” warning mean in the message center?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does the “CHECK BRAKE SYSTEM” warning mean in the message center?

Quite a few different warning messages can be displayed in your car’s message center. If you see one that reads “CHECK BRAKE SYSTEM,” it means that the car’s computer has detected a problem with the Brake system and it needs to be inspected. The most likely issue is that your brakes need service (fluid filled, brake pads replaced, etc.), but it may also mean that there’s a malfunction somewhere in the system. If the message does not clear, or comes back again, have your car inspected as soon as possible.

Tip

Take all Brake system warnings seriously. Even if it is only a need for maintenance or regular service, it’s critical to have it done.