Q: Car won't start, says key error. This is the first time it ever happened

I drove car to work everything or ked fine I get done work go to start car and it says key error and clicks one

Hello. The key error message you are experiencing can be caused by a few different things. The most common causes are an issue with the immobilizer system, or with the steering column. The immobilizer system is the vehicle’s security system. It will lock the steering column and prevent the vehicle from starting if it detects an issue with the immobilizer.

This does not always mean there is an issue with the key, in some instances this fault can be caused by a faulty module, sensor, or even wiring. It may also be possible that the fault is with the upper steering column.

There is a component in the upper steering column that locks the steering wheel. It is controlled by the immobilizer, and can set off this error message if it fails. As electrical issues, such as these can sometimes be difficult to diagnose properly, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine the exact cause of the no-start and assist you with any needed repairs.

3. Car won't start, says key error. This is the first time it ever happened