Q: Rough idling

asked by on February 22, 2017

Hello I was driving my car home from getting it washed then when I de accelerated to slow down it stalled, after this happened any time I stopped at lights I had to keep the revs high or it would cut out, I cleaned the throttle body and it made a difference as it would tick over without stalling but the revs were jumping up and down, when I drove it round the square after when I went slow to go round a corner I would slightly press the throttle and it would jump forward like I was pressing down hard on the accelerator, any ideas what this could be ? Thanks

Car idle is rough Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. It’s possible that your throttle position sensor is the cause of your idle issues. If you cleaned the throttle body and that helped, it’s also possible cleaning the fuel injectors and ERG valve would also improve this situation. If you’d like, one of our mobile mechanics can come to your location and complete a car idle is rough inspection to help you pinpoint the source and recommend the right repairs.

You should first scan the engine to see if there is codes. If you just washed the vehicle then you may have got water in the air filter or other electrical connections. Check the air filter to see if it got wet and replace it if it is paper type. If still runs rough for a couple days then have the sensors connectors disconnected and blow out with air to remove any water. See if problem still happens. If it does then contact a mechanic like one from YourMechanic to come and contine further diagnosis.