Q: The shift gear is loose and wont change in to park

asked by on February 27, 2017

My truck will not turn on and is in park but the gesr shifter is loose and it still moves in park.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. Without the shifter registering that it is in park, the neutral safety switch will prevent the vehicle from starting. This is to assure the vehicle does not start while it is in gear and take out without warning. We need to start by determining if the issue is with the shifter being loose or broken, or if the linkage cables to the transmission are loose or broken. There are bolts that mount the shifter in place, and you should check those first. Then turn to looking at the shift linkage and make sure the gears are properly being selected. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

The most common cause of the problem is a broken shift tube in the steering column is not moving the shift cable. You need to have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic remove steering column covers and inspect shift tube in the column. Replace the tube if it is broken.