Q: Very Loud Strong Vibration when transmission is engaged.

asked by on December 15, 2016

Just replaced the transmission with a used one as well as the trans. mount. Also previously replaced all the motor mounts about a year or 2 prior. I used an aftermarket transmission mount from westerly. Starting to wonder if I need to switch it out with an OEM like everything else on this VW POS. Also when the transmission went it seems the engine jerked up and even nicked the hood so much you can see some minor damage that pushed through to the outside of the hood. Wondering if it's possible that the engine is now maligned and is why it sounds like its running low on oil but isn't. Also I should mention with the trans. mount my mechanic used a bolt I picked up from the hardware store but made sure it was the very same thread that was needed. The bolt was somewhat longer and so my mechanic installed a washer with it and all seemed to tighten ok. The issue I'm getting is a very bad loud vibration when in drive or reverse which seems like the engine is bogged down somewhat. PLEASE HELP!

Hi there. What seems to happen is the input shaft on the transmission was not turning and the transmission was lockup internally. This caused your engine to raise high up and make the engine fully extend the engine mounts. When this happened, the friction material may have became damaged in the forward clutch causing the input shaft to slip allowing the input shaft to somewhat turn. This sounds like the used transmission you got was broken internally. If you need further assistance with diagnosing your engine contacting the hood, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.