Q: Car Sitting waiting for repair. Sat 9 Months Now repair finished but will not start.

The car sat for 9 months waiting for funds to replace a lower control arm where the ball joint has separated.

The repair was completed by "yourMechanic" and it appeared to be done well.

Now it doesn't start (needs jump start to crank and cranks over 10-15 times before losing power (while on jumper cables).

I have added a slight amount of gas in the air filter (just incase fuel was getting gummy) no effect.

checked fuel bar to see if gas pressure was there (it was good)It may be fuel was bad (I had added about 3/4 of a gallon (nearly empty tank when I started)).

I am not sure how to self diagnose for spark (I would just pull the plug and ground the edge and turn over to look for spark off of plug, but I am alone and cannot be inside and outside the car at the same time). Any suggestions?

Hi...gasoline has a limited shelf life. After four months or so, but sometimes even earlier, gum and varnish develop. Gasoline that is nine months old will typically not have enough of the volatile fractions (from the refinery process) to start an internal combustion engine. If gasoline has sat in the vehicle’s fuel system for nine months, the fuel injectors will have gum and deposits from the oxidized fuel and consequently the injectors will have to be removed from the vehicle, cleaned ultrasonically, and the tiny injector filter baskets have to be replaced. Fuel injectors have practically microscopic pores, including that in the individual injector filter baskets. Once the injectors are gummed up, they must be removed from the vehicle because they cannot be properly cleaned on the car. The fuel filter should be replaced. Any old gas in the tank should be thoroughly removed. It is possible that corrosion has developed on ignition system components contributing to the no start problem. Although you could possibly get the engine started through conventional measures (via a diagnostic and assuming the injectors are not totally plugged) if you want the engine to run well and efficiently, the fuel system issues I have identified would have to be resolved. If you want to just simply get the car running, and then evaluate the running condition, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get the engine running for you and then you can determine, at your leisure, what further measures you would like to pursue. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Car Sitting waiting for repair. Sat 9 Months Now repair finished but will not start.