Q: Very loud and distracting exhaust

The exhaust suddenly got really loud the other day on my 2007 Nissan Versa when I was driving it home. I looked under the car and the whole thing was covered in rust. I only have 38,000 miles on this car, how much rust can even be made in that time? Should I be worried about more parts under the car than just the muffler?

The exhaust system on your Versa is very prone to corrosion and failure at the weld joints and internal muffler components. Nissan warranty coverage is basic and no recalls or technical service bulletins cover this problem. There are other owners that have had the same or similar issues. The rust and corrosion can be minor in some climates that are dry, less humid places compared to areas with salt usage on roads for snow removal or near oceans and salt spray conditions. The only fix is to replace the exhaust with either a factory or aftermarket replacement. A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect your exhaust system and give a quote for a total replacement with better quality metal parts.

3. Very loud and distracting exhaust