Q: ABS light, is it safe?

A warning light popped up on the dashboard in my 2006 Honda CR-V. The warning was about the VSA module in the car. This is what controls the ABS and the part is pretty expensive. Considering the car doesn’t even have 50,000 miles on it yet, I am pretty disappointed to have such a major repair. Is the vehicle safe to use without the ABS functioning? Is there another way to solve this issue?

A: You may notice you may have less control in...

You may notice you may have less control in panic stopping or in wet or slick conditions. Your brakes should operate as if you were not equipped with ABS at all. After investigation of your complaint, there are a few things that could cause the ABS light to be on and codes pertaining to the VSA module. YourMechanic can diagnose your ABS light on for you and check for codes 68-1 (brake pedal position switch stuck off) and 68-12 (brake pedal position stuck on). In accordance with Honda Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) A11080P dated August 2011, YourMechanic will then inspect if an aftermarket tow hitch wiring is installed. The wiring will have to be removed from vehicle, and codes cleared. A thorough road test to see will be performed to confirm the problem is fixed. Another possible issue is if any previous brake system work was done, or the VSA was replaced, and the ABS light was not reset. In this case, a computer reset will need to be performed. I found no recalls for this item, but found several owners that had to replace the expensive VSA unit. My recommendations would be to have YourMechanic do a thorough vehicle diagnostics and quote a repair before replacement of any major components.