Q: Opinion on cylinder deactivation system on GM trucks

What do you think about the newer cylinder deactivation on newer GM pickup trucks? It seems like that would cost a fortune to fix when it breaks.

GM has been trying to use cylinder deactivation in Cadillacs for years now. In my opinion they are not very good. GM’s are notorious for having horrible electrical problems and now they are making engines with electronic mechanical cylinder deactivation. They are only doing this in an effort to make their trucks get better gas mileage. There cars are known as gas hogs, so they try to compensate by using this technology.

I would recommend getting a smaller one, like a Ford engine. They’ve got 4-cylinder ones that get good gas mileage and have tons of horsepower if you floor it with those turbo systems they’ve put on the GDI. That would be my recommendation if you’re looking for something with power and good MPG.

In conclusion, I would not mess with any of those GM cylinder deactivations. When they broke, they costed a fortune to fix and they broke frequently.

3. Opinion on cylinder deactivation system on GM trucks