Q: Smoking under VW Touran at standstill

recently (in the cold weather) my vw touran 2004 1.9 tdi has been smoking from underneath the drivers side door making it looks like the car is on fire/about to, i have read that it is the auxillary heater, could this been the case or could it be something more serious?

Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

It is possible that an auxillary heater of some kind could be contributing to this issue. However, most of the time smoke is coming from the engine bay of your vehicle, the smoke is coming from a fluid that is leaking out on to the exhaust. This can be oil, coolant, or other fluids. The exhaust gets very hot while the engine is running and therefore it burns away any fluid that comes in contact with it. I would recommend having your vehicle inspected for fluid leaks by a qualified professional. Consider YourMechanic for this service as it can be done at your home or office.