Q: Wheel bearing hub replacement

asked by on March 13, 2017

Im in the process of changing out my wheel bearing only ti find the hub was bad also. Can i take back part of old assembly and have a new hub and bearing added to that. Or do i have to buy a whole new axle.(a person pulled off boot). Im stuck in the process. I found the whole assembly at junk yard. But its to small for my axle.

Wheel Bearings Replacement $94.60 - $550.03 Get a Quote

If you have the steering knuckle, with the wheel bearing and hub installed in the steering knuckle, already removed from the vehicle the procedure is to use a 20 ton shop press to first press the hub out of the bearing. Then remove the snap ring within the knuckle and press out the outer race. Installation is in reverse order: press new bearing into hub, install snap ring, and then install new hub. If applicable, be sure dust seals are installed during assembly (prior to pushing hub on bearing for example.) If your existing steering knuckle is not damaged, of course it is just re-used with the new bearing. The bearing and hub are not hugely expensive in this application so it is not cost effective at all to use used parts. In fact, a used bearing cannot be used, even if you can get it for free, because the process of removing an old (or used) bearing from a steering knuckle leaves indentations in the bearing race. So, only a new bearing can be installed in a knuckle. When replacing a wheel bearing, there is usually no need to service the axle unless the threaded end, or axle splines are damaged. If the CV boot is missing, of course you have to replace that, otherwise the axle will quickly fail due to contamination and loss of grease. Please not that if you do not use a calibrated torque wrench to install the axle nut, you will destroy any new bearing that you install. If the axle nut is tightened past the value specified in the Factory Service Manual what happens is the ball bearings in the bearing are forced into the bearing races causing indentations. Those indentations typically cause the bearing to fail within just thousands of miles, if that. Your cheapest option may be to just request bearing replacement. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this replacement taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.