Q: Silhouette

My car has gone 180,000 miles. Lately, it has been overheating. The problem occurs when the car is idling, like at the traffic light or in park. Then, in just a couple of minutes, the temperature would be in the red zone. Even though the fans are working, the temperature cannot be decreased to a normal level. Also, while in the hot zone, I've noticed that the heater quits working. I checked the coolant level and it seems fine. Several years ago, the cooling system was flushed. Everything works normally when the car is in motion. Also, it might be relevant to mention that the overflow tank seems to have rust particles in it. How can I prevent the vehicle from overheating?

Many different parts can cause the vehicle to overheat. The most common would be the thermostat, radiator, water pump, air in the coolant, or a coolant leak.

When a vehicle overheats at idle the usual suspect is the radiator fans. If you need assistance with checking these components, feel free to contact a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose your overheating issue firsthand and perform any repairs that are required.