Q: what can cause my car not to move even when the gear is engaged?

I was on my to work one day and while driving for a while i stopped to allow pedestrians to cross and when i tried to move again i felt a snap (like when you a rope snaps during a tug o`war game), felt like it came from the gear box, i tried to move the engine just revved high but there was no movement on the wheels, and so i stopped everything and called a tow truck to take to my mechanic. There the mechanic couldn't figure out what happened, we tried adding some trans fluid but i don't think the level was alright, out of fear i asked the tow truck to take it to my house instead. A few days ago i learnt from you tube that it could be the shift linkage i checked it seemed ok as it moves when you try to change the gears but the when car is started it just wouldn't move.What could've happened? I live in South Africa.

A: The problem is most likely a breakage in th...

The problem is most likely a breakage in the transmission's internal output or input clutch. Another possibility is that a shaft broke when you started to move or the differential final drive gear broke. Before the transmission is taken out to be repaired or replaced, make sure both axles are fully engaged into the trans-axle assembly.