Q: Automatic Audi A4 randomly stops accelerating

asked by on April 03, 2017

About a week ago or so, I put antifreeze, a very small amount of engine oil, and windshield wiper fluid in my car. Then the day after, my car randomly stopped accelerating while I was driving it for about a minute. Even if I stepped on the pedal as far as it could go, neither the mph and rpm would go up. It just didn't do anything. I went to the shoulder of the road and stopped the car. I started the car again and it worked fine. It happened again for a few days and it stopped doing it. At one point I realized that if I stepped on the break pedal and back to the gas pedal, it would work just fine. It stops accelerating but when I press the break it works fine again. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with putting fluids in the car or if it's something completely different. I'd love the help

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Engine hesitates during acceleration Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The addition of the fluids is just mere coincidence and has nothing to do with the issue. If you request a diagnostic, the first thing a mechanic would do is check for any stored diagnostic trouble codes. If there are no codes, the procedure is to try to replicate the fault while reading (on a scanner) real time streaming OBD-II data particularly that tracking the electronic throttle controls, throttle position sensor, MAF sensor and so forth. That may be the general area of the fault. There might also be an interlink between a faulty or stuck on brake pedal actuated sensor or switch and the electronic throttle control. If so, that would explain why manipulation of the brake pedal restores normal acceleration. If you would like the foregoing diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an electronic throttle control - faulty acceleration diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.