Q: Car stalls while driving, and won't start up for 15-20 minutes.

asked by on November 17, 2016

Car stalls while driving, and won't start up for 15-20 minutes. I took it to the dealership, they replaced the main relay, the ignition switch, spark plugs and ignition coils. Still have the same problem, car stalls after about 30 minutes of driving, electrical stays on, but looses power and dies. After it die's, it take 10-20 minutes to start back up and problem continues.

Any suggestions?? Dealership was no help at all!

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Your car was built right on the cusp of the period when Honda products were transitioning to distributor-less ignition. If it is a model that had a distributor, then that is the first place I would look for trouble. The old distributors had a magnetic pickup coil that served as a camshaft position sensor and that coil would fail when it reached a certain temperature. When it cooled back down, it would function again. If your car has distributor-less ignition, then the problem may exist in the crankshaft or camshaft position sensor or in the igniter module. All three are subject to the same kind of temperature related breakdown. The only way to properly diagnose this car is by driving it until it fails, and then troubleshooting it right on the spot with a scope. By contacting Your Mechanic you can have a technician come to your home or office and diagnose the car for you and offer a solution.