Q: Flushed coolant month ago now glitter in radiator

asked by on April 22, 2017

About a month ago I flushed my coolant cause previous owner mixed green and red together so I got it flushed and now a month later I see glitter like particles all in my coolant in the radiator but not in the resivor I check coolant and oil almost daily and I've never seen the glitter until now. I also am not losing coolant and it's not mixing with anything else. What could be causing this issue and what could it be since I just flushed my coolant?. Can I still use my truck with the glitter in the coolant or do I need to flush it again? What will happen if I still use my truck with the coolant like that?

Hi there. Quite frequently when red and green coolant is mixed and inside the coolant tubes for a long time, it can cause excessive wear of the coolant tubes. The ’glitter’ you see may be excessive debris that may have worn off the coolant hoses. Whether or not you can continue to run with this coolant; it shouldn’t be a problem. However, I would recommend that the next time you flush your coolant, that you also replace the coolant hoses and tubes.