Q: Loud grinding and thumping

asked by on May 18, 2016

I'm hearing some mechanical-sounding thumping and grinding sounds from the front of my car. When I make hard turns, the sounds are the worst. Plus, the Electronic Stability Program light is on. Does this mean that my brakes could lock?

Hello. It is possible that your axle is worn out, but it is unusual for an axle to grind. What is more likely is that the right front caliper is locking up, or that a wheel bearing has gone bad.

I would recommend that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come to your home or business and complete a brakes, steering and suspension inspection completed.