Q: White smoke coming from tailpipe

asked by on February 08, 2016

I see white smoke coming from the tailpipe.

Smoke from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi! The white smoke is a sign that the engines head gasket has blown and is leaking coolant into the combustion chamber. The coolant leaked into the hot combustion chamber then burns off in the form of white smoke exiting the muffler. I would test the head gasket with a head gasket coolant tester. If the head gasket leaks coolant, the coolant will pick up traces of exhaust gas which can cause the white smoke that you are seeing. The head gasket coolant tester will indicate if there are in fact exhaust gases present in the coolant. I would recommend having a certified mechanic diagnose your smoke issue to determine what actions to move forward with.