Q: Car makes noise only in the morning

Car is parked in garage at night. When I start car every morning and put car in reverse or drive it makes a loud clicking metal type noise for about 30 seconds to a minute. When the noises stops, the car seems normal. The noise seems like it is coming from the under the hood on the passenger side of my car. I only seem to have this problem first thing in the morning or when the car hasn't been driven for many hours. Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks!

Hello. Thank you for writing in. When the vehicle sits for an extended period of time, the oil collects at the bottom of the engine due to gravity. This causes the engine and components in which the oil lubricates to run dry. There is no problem with this while the engine is off, and every car does this. Now when the vehicle turns on, the engine will need a moment to circulate that oil throughout the engine. Once the oil becomes warm enough to be the viscosity in which the engine desires, and everything has had a moment to become lubricated again, there should not be any more noises coming from the valves. If this is a new noise or it is irritating to you, you can attempt to change your oil or maybe even change the type of oil that you were using. The noise is simply the engine not having oil when it first starts up. But this is normal.

3. Car makes noise only in the morning