Q: Strong gas smell but nothing leaking under hood

asked by on July 24, 2017

strong gas smell but noy leaking under hood

Mass Airflow Sensor Replacement $173.36 - $767.03 Get a Quote

Hi There, A few things may cause the vehicle to produce a strong fuel smell. A clogged or dirty EGR valve may cause the car to emit a strong fuel smell due to the excess hydrocarbons as a result of the valve not working properly and may also cause poor fuel mileage. The EGR valve is a small component designed to allow the flow of exhaust gases into the intake manifold in controlled amounts. Whenever you start the engine, the valve comes alive and waits in a closed position, blocking the flow of exhaust gases. Once the engine reaches operating temperature and speed increases, the valve, either through vacuum or electronic control will gradually open, allowing burned exhaust gases to enter and combine with the air-fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber.

A faulty or dirty mass air flow sensor may also cause the vehicle to produce a strong fuel odor when it is not functioning properly. The mass air flow sensor monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. This sensor relays vital information to the ECM which uses this to make adjustments to fuel supply to the motor. A dirty or faulty sensor can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which results in an over fueling or under fueling situation depending on the conditions. This type of inconsistent fuel supply to the motor may cause a hesitation, loss of power, a jerking reaction, potentially a bit of black exhaust smoke and typically a strong smell of fuel when this sensor is malfunctioning. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr