Q: Volvo won't turn over, but has power. How do I get it to start?

asked by on March 02, 2017

I went out to my car this morning and then simply turned it over. I heard the fuel pump and the dash seemed to have full power but no start. I tried to jump it and that didn't work either. The only problem that the vehicle has as of now is a bad cv joint that needs replacement. I want to tackle this problem but electrical issues in volvos can be difficult. I only tried starting like 10 times. Lastnight I did replace the key fob with a new key fob the key is still the same key. I tried locking and unlocking with the new remote and it worked. I had to go to work so I gave up and took my jeep. I am puzzled what should I do?

Battery is dead Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote
Starter Replacement $154.22 - $1090.49 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Prior to performing diagnostics be sure you have a fully, 100% charged battery that passes a load test. Confirm that the engine immobilizer system (security system) is not activated thus preventing the car from starting. If the immobilizer system is on, you may see a security warning light. If the warning light is on, to temporarily override the immobilizer system, see these instructions. If there is no starter motor operation at all, that is if there is no starter operation with the key held in the "start" position, the procedure is to test for power and voltage drops to the starter motor/solenoid. If there is no power or a large voltage drop exists, then the electrical circuit supplying the motor has a fault. That circuit begins at the battery and includes grounds, wiring (some of which is very heavy cabling), fuses, relays, the ignition switch, neutral start switch, and terminations. Basically, with a fully charged battery, and with the key held in the "start" position, the starter is either getting power or it isn’t. With the key in the "start" position, if the starter motor is getting power but the starter doesn’t work, then the starter is condemned and replaced. Note that starters can and sometimes do develop intermittent faults due to bad spots on the armature. The bottom line is if there is battery voltage to the starter (and no excessive voltage drop) and yet the starter doesn’t work, it’s dead. If you desire that a certified mechanic resolve this, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get the problem diagnosed and repaired for you. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr