Q: The car has trouble starting after gas tank is filled up

My car has around 110,000 miles on it. When I fill the gas tank up, the car has trouble starting. It happened several times already. I would then try for a while until I start it up again. After that, the car would run fine until I fill the gas tank up the following time. I went to a shop for this but they couldn't fix it. Do you have any idea why this happens? Thank you.

When you fill your gas tank, a lot of fumes build up in the fuel tank and usually excess fumes come out of the fuel filled tube and out to atmosphere or into a recovery system in the fuel pump handle.

You may have a purge valve that is not sealing correctly and the fumes are going into your engine causing your engine to be flooded with fumes while you are refueling. You can help your car start by holding the throttle wide open to get extra air into the engine to get it started, and then letting off the gas once it starts. This is only a way to get it started after refueling until you get the purge valve replaced to fix the problem. If the problem persists, have a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your car’s hard starting problem to verify what needs to be done.

3. The car has trouble starting after gas tank is filled up