Q: Q: How often should I change my transmission fluid?

I bought my car brand new and haven't had my transmission flushed or changed. I've been noticing that my car sometimes over revs and switches gears later than usual. How often should I change or flush my transmission on my 2011 Honda Civic LX

Honda recommends the transmission fluid be changed every 37,500 miles under "severe" conditions and every 120,000 under "normal" conditions. In my 30+ years of working on vehicles and maintaining my own vehicles, I recommend a more in the middle schedule. Every 4 years or 50,000 miles always worked for me no matter the vehicle. Transmission fluid has a number of additives that protect the transmissions internal workings. It also carries normal wear debris from internal parts such as the clutches (yes, automatic transmissions have clutches inside). The additives break down over time and the debris adds up in the transmission oil pan. For a long healthy life, the transmission should be serviced on a regular interval. Have a certified technician perform a transmission service to restore proper operation.

3. Q: How often should I change my transmission fluid?