Q: Car will not shift into gears above 2nd gear.

asked by on December 17, 2015

My car does not shift gears properly. While accelerating the car shifts into 1st and 2nd with no problem, but not into higher gears.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello, your transmission is electronically controlled so there can be a different problem with the same outcome. There is a transmission control unit that controls two electronic solenoids that control fluid flow to the valve body. Your transmission has solenoids A and B. In gear 1 both A and B are applied. When gear 2 is needed solenoid A is turned off leaving only B applied. To shift to third gear both solenoids are turned off. It sounds like solenoid B is staying on. The solenoid could be electronically driven by a faulty control unit if there is shorted wiring in the transmission or the solenoid itself is stuck. You may need to enlist the help of a mechanic to do some testing to determine the fault.