Q: My son went to move his car this morning and the engine made an awful loud noise (more on the left side) when he put it in drive.

When putting the car in drive (after no other others previously) the engine made a loud noise and Rpms go to 20 and it's coming from more of the left side. Also it rolls when he put it in park.

I’ll bet he’s broken a CV joint. The CV joints are the universal joints that allow the front wheels to be under power while they are steering. When the fail, sometimes the while thing blows apart making a pretty impressive noise and then there is no connection between the axle and the wheel. It allows the engine and transmission to freewheel which explains why the engine speed goes up when you are in drive and why it can roll in park. The good news is, it can probably be fixed right there on the spot. In most cases it is more economical to replace the axle shaft than to replace individual CV joints. If you contact Your Mechanic, they will send a technician to your home or office to replace your CV shaft and get you back on the road.

3. My son went to move his car this morning and the engine made an awful loud noise (more on the left side) when he put it in drive.