Q: Can ur upper control arms be bad if the rubber is cracked

Went to mercedes mechanic today he said my upper control arms are bad because the rubber was cracked. Think he fos.

If you suspect that your upper control arm is not bad, it’s best to get a second opinion to be sure. When I diagnose vehicles, I am sure to explain my findings to the customer and let them know what needs attention now and what needs to be monitored to see if it will get worse.

When I see bushings that show signs of wear and fatigue, I will note it in the inspection and show the customer what the situation is for that part. In some cases the bushings are badly worn and a replacement is recommended. In other situations, cracks in the rubber bushing are present, however the bushing itself is still intact and doing its job. When the latter of the two happens, I continue to monitor these parts on regular oil change services for when it will need to be addressed.

There are a lot of rubber components on your vehicle and they are subject to harsh weather conditions. Over time they will start to dry out, crack, and fatigue. This is considered normal wear. If you don’t experience any abnormal noises when driving your vehicle, enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic to come by and inspect the suspension system on your Mercedes. They will have the experience and knowledge needed to provide a thorough inspection of your ML320 and inform you on what components need to be serviced.