Q: If the intake manifold has a huge piece broken off of it will the car still start then cut off ?

I recently discovered a piece of my manifold broken off while changing the rear valve cover,coils and plugs. I kind of made it way worse now it's two times bigger than before. When I try to start the car it starts then shuts right off. I'm guessing it's due to the vacuum leak. Any temporary fixes or only new installation is required ?

If the broken off piece is admitting unmetered air to the intake, then yes that will have the effect of stalling the engine. A big initial concern is be sure no debris gets in there because anything in the intake will be sucked into the engine with potentially disastrous consequences. So, if you are awaiting a repair tape over the hole or somehow close it off. I was going to suggest taping it shut with duct tape so you can attempt to use the car temporarily but that is actually pretty risky because if the tape breaks free that itself will be drawn into the engine. Basically, the safest and most efficient thing to do is just get it repaired. If that is all that is wrong (or broken), it is no big deal and a certified Mechanic from YourMechanic could be dispatched, if you desire, to replace the intake manifold and gasket right at your home. The manifold is probably a dealer only item, so that has to be checked. Used manifolds might be available at lower cost via Car-part.com but the savings have to be substantial (at least 50% off new) to justify using a used part in this case.

• If the intake manifold has a huge piece broken off of it will the car still start then cut off ?