Q: Engine shakes, shuts off 1992 Volvo 740

The car had some minor issues such as shaking at idle. I had an oxygen sensor replaced. I figured that would fix the problem, but it didn't. The other day, I was driving and it started shaking again and shut off completely. There is now a significant engine shudder each time when I engage the throttle. It works better after cooling down. What might be the cause of this?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1992 Volvo 740. There are many things that can cause a shake like a worn ignition system or broken engine mounts. Being a '92, there is not an OBD-II connector, but our technicians have access to manufacturer specific methods of retrieving trouble codes. If you would like this diagnosed, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to inspect the shaking and stalling problems.