Q: Engine shakes, shuts off 1992 Volvo 740

The car had some minor issues such as shaking at idle. I had an oxygen sensor replaced. I figured that would fix the problem, but it didn't. The other day, I was driving and it started shaking again and shut off completely. There is now a significant engine shudder each time when I engage the throttle. It works better after cooling down. What might be the cause of this?

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1992 Volvo 740. There are many things that can cause a shake like a worn ignition system or broken engine mounts. Being a ’92, there is not an OBD-II connector, but our technicians have access to manufacturer specific methods of retrieving trouble codes. If you would like this diagnosed, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to inspect the shaking and stalling problems.

3. Engine shakes, shuts off 1992 Volvo 740