Q: My gas mileage dropped after an oil change.

asked by on December 13, 2016

I was getting 36 MPG for months regular driving and even got 42 for the duration of a road trip. After I got my oil changed, I never get my MPG above 32 again, usually not even above 31. I bought conventional oil. Would synthetic oil have prevented this issue? Or is the oil unrelated to gas mileage? This was the first time I've had the oil changed and I don't know what kind the previous owner used. I've been fueling with premium gas the whole time I've had the car. I really want my economy back to the way it was.

If you were using one type of oil and then replaced with a different oil that does not meed specifications of the motor by being too thick then it would affect fuel mileage by maybe 1 mpg. If you are loosing more than this then look elsewhere. Check tire pressures and filters. If still having issues then have vehicle checked.