Q: Car won't start - 1999 Saturn SL1

My saturn just stopped running, I was driving and the car died. Had to have it towed home. The dash lights continued to work, so I guessed it wasn't the battery. I tried to jump the car, and a couple of times it would start to turn over but then it would die. I was told it might be the alternater, so I had a new one installed, but it still wouldn't start. I tried a couple of batteries after I charged them. Still nothing. Batteries were just a few months old. I don't know what it could be. Thanks

Hey there. You will want to have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic trouble codes and start there. If you’re getting power and the car still acting like it doesn’t want to run, your issue is very likely either spark or fuel related.

There are a few tests you can do to check on these systems. You can use a spark plug tester to make sure you are getting the correct amount of voltage at the right time to each spark plug. You can also hook up new spark plugs and new wires if you feel that yours are old enough or damaged enough to go ahead and replace them.

Spark plugs are the kind of component that you can change everyday and it would only benefit your vehicle. You can also check via gauge (or other methods) to make sure that you have the right amount of fuel being delivered to each cylinder. A clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump will deplete the amount of fuel available for the engine. If you would like to have this resolved for you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the no start and proceed with the proper repairs.