Q: 2004 dakota 3.7 v6. I want to put a cummins diesel 5.9 from a 97 ram

I want to put a 5.9 cummins from a 97 ram into an 04 dakota that has a gas 3.7 v6. I have the ram parts truxk for the tranny etc. can i legally do this swap in rhode island. How will it pass inspection more importantly emissions. A diesel was never offered in a dakota but i have the skills to do it just wondering if i can get it inspexted. If not im not wasting my time and money.

Hi there. Rhode Island is pretty strict on emissions standards and completing this type of full system swap. Usually if this is completed, you have to re-register the vehicle under the different engine configurations, ensuring that it has the corresponding emissions systems that came with the diesel; not the gasoline powered truck. To be honest, this is more of a hassle than an advantage. It’s better to find a diesel truck you like and upgrade from there.

3. 2004 dakota 3.7 v6. I want to put a cummins diesel 5.9 from a 97 ram