Q: Front steering/suspension shaking while braking

For the past few thousand miles, I have been feeling the front end of my car shimmy/shake while braking. I have noticed that the front end of the car would shake while braking around 40 mph. I started feeling the brakes scrubbing, like the brake pads were getting worn. So I decided to change the brake pads and have the rotors turned. I bought new brake pads and I took the rotors off to have them turned. The parts store made three passes on the rotors and they were still warped. So I bought new rotors. Before I installed the new brake pads and rotors, I noticed that the boot around my caliper piston had a large tear in it. So, to keep from replacing the calipers later, I went ahead and bought new calipers for both sides of the car. I then install the new brake pads, new rotors, new calipers and bled all four brake lines. The brakes no longer have a scrubbing feeling or sound and they work well. Now the shaking is still there but not as bad. Everything was torqued to OEM spec. Any ideas?

A: Hello. It is possible that you could have a...

Hello. It is possible that you could have a control arm bushing that has failed. When a control arm bushing fails and the brakes are applied, the vehicle will display these exact same symptoms that you described. I would recommend enlisting the assistance of a qualified professional to inspect your steering and suspension parts for worn control arm bushings. If any excessive wear is found in the control arm bushings, I would recommend having them replaced as soon as possible because this can result in a safety issue. If you need help getting this taken care of, a certified professional can diagnose the suspension and brake system to verify the problem and move forward with appropriate repairs.