Q: Front steering/suspension shaking while braking

For the past few thousand miles, I have been feeling the front end of my car shimmy/shake while braking. I have noticed that the front end of the car would shake while braking around 40 mph. I started feeling the brakes scrubbing, like the brake pads were getting worn. So I decided to change the brake pads and have the rotors turned. I bought new brake pads and I took the rotors off to have them turned. The parts store made three passes on the rotors and they were still warped. So I bought new rotors. Before I installed the new brake pads and rotors, I noticed that the boot around my caliper piston had a large tear in it. So, to keep from replacing the calipers later, I went ahead and bought new calipers for both sides of the car. I then install the new brake pads, new rotors, new calipers and bled all four brake lines. The brakes no longer have a scrubbing feeling or sound and they work well. Now the shaking is still there but not as bad. Everything was torqued to OEM spec. Any ideas?

Hello. It is possible that you could have a control arm bushing that has failed. When a control arm bushing fails and the brakes are applied, the vehicle will display these exact same symptoms that you described. I would recommend enlisting the assistance of a qualified professional to inspect your steering and suspension parts for worn control arm bushings. If any excessive wear is found in the control arm bushings, I would recommend having them replaced as soon as possible because this can result in a safety issue. If you need help getting this taken care of, a certified professional can diagnose the suspension and brake system to verify the problem and move forward with appropriate repairs.

3. Front steering/suspension shaking while braking