Q: When stopping at slow speeds the abs feels like they are engaging.

When stopping between 0-10 mph the brakes feel like the abs are engaging when I push lightly on the brake pedal. If I push hard on the brake pedal the issue doesn't happen. I'm thinking that either the abs sensors are dirty or out of place, or possibly the sensors or module needs to be replaced. Is there anyway to trouble shoot if a sensor or the abs module is faulty if I had already cleaned the sensors up with a brush and soapy water? Also when I clean up the abs sensors is a toothrush and soapy water alright, or should I use a stronger chemical like brake cleaner?

Thanks, Daniel H

Hello. If you’ve already cleaned the sensors with soap and water then you probably won’t need to clean them again with stronger chemicals. The ABS sensors function as magnetic type sensors, and only need to be clean and free of excessive debris or metal shavings to function properly. You can test the wheel speed sensor signals with a multi meter or scan tool to see if they are giving a proper signal. If it is not then then there may be a wiring issue, or more likely one or more of the ABS wheel speed sensors may need to be replaced. A few other things that can cause those symptoms are a faulty ABS module, or more commonly, a bad hub assembly. The ABS sensors read their signal off a reluctor wheel that is built into the hub, and can experience problems if the wheel or hub wear out, or have some sort of issues.

3. When stopping at slow speeds the abs feels like they are engaging.