Q: Intermittent central locking issue

asked by on January 05, 2017

When using the key to lock the driver's door, 90% of the time all the doors lock. The other 10% of the time the key only locks the drivers door. The same thing occurs when I use the inside door lock button on the drivers door. I have no remote control /key fob for locking the doors. When the locks do not work there are no sounds of any kind (like no sounds of electric motors/actuators) Help!!

My car has 100000 miles.
My car has an automatic transmission.

Power door locks are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello there, many common faults will cause your 1995 Subaru Impreza to fail to lock all of the doors intermittently. The first thing to look for in this situation is to inspect the condition of the key, if the key appears worn or the ridges are worn this can cause the key to not fully engage. Other potential issues are the drivers door master switch, a wiring harness fault, or failing lock actuators. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your door lock issues and make any repairs required to resolve the issue.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Get an instant quote for your car

Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing

What others are asking

If a fuel filter is plugging up can that restrict the fuel pressure in a fuel injected car

Hey there. Since the fuel filter is an in line filter that the fuel must flow through in order to get to the injectors, this can have an impact on fuel pressure. Depending on how plugged the fuel filter is,...

Alignment

Hello. You only need to change the parts that are actually loose. If the ball joint is loose then it needs to be replaced. If the lower control arm has worn out or missing bushings then those should be replaced....

How do I replace the remote transmitter battery?

If your remote transmitter battery dies, it will need to be replaced. You can do it by following these steps: 1. Use a small Phillips-head screwdriver to unscrew the remote transmitter case. 2. Open up the transmitter keypad. 3. Carefully...

Sometimes my key gets stuck in the ignition

You have one of two different problems. Your key is worn too much and will not engage the tumblers enough to unlock the ignition lock cylinder. If the key is not worn out then your ignition lock cylinder is binding...

When accelerating it feel like something is pulling back

Hi there: This issue happens more often than not with vehicles approaching or just eclipsing 20 years (which your 1995 Toyota qualifies). In most cases, the reason you're having acceleration issues is because the fuel injectors or throttle body (or...

What could be wrong with my vehicle? It stalled on the highway.

Hi, first task is to check for the problem codes that are setting the Check Engine Light. Since you have a "hard stop" failure, this become even more important. First level isolation is to see if you have spark, or...

Car struggling into gear

Hi there. If your car is an automatic with high mileage, it may be due to internal transmission wear. If the fluid was not changed on a regular basis, this will cause a premature failure. The fluid in Honda vehicles...

How many camshaft position sensors are there on a tribeca 3.6 h6 motor?

Hello. There are actually only two cam position sensors on your vehicle. They are however two crank position sensors on your vehicle which people often get mixed up for cam position sensors which has helped start a rumor that Subaru...

How much for a head gasket replacement job?

Hi There, It sounds like you may be correct in that this is a classic sign of a blown head gasket. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. Coolant in the engine oil, an engine misfire...

Related articles

The Best Used Cars to Buy If You Live in a Tropical Climate
If If you live in a tropical climate, most of your vehicle purchasing concerns will be essentially the same as if you lived anywhere else – you want a car that looks good, offers decent gas mileage, and suits the...
A Buyer’s Guide to the 2012 Subaru Forester
People People love SUVs, but more and more people have been looking for an alternative to the large models that suck up a lot of gas. One of the best options to consider is the Subaru Forester; it’s a great...
2012 Volkswagen Jetta vs. 2012 Subaru Forester: Which One Should I Buy?
Mid-size sedans are the realm of small families or commuters who want a slightly larger vehicle than a subcompact or compact car, yet don’t want to fully give up their good gas mileage. The sedan offers more comfort and space...