Q: Drive belt or pulley makes a screaming noise

Ok when my car is cold as i start it eirth a belt or pulley is screaming... Went away as it warmed up but recently it been doing now as im driving warm or cold. Check at this local shop an they really dont know an playin the guessing game sayin it may be the tensioner pulley. I thought maybe it was the belt.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. In most cases the screeching sound that is made upon start up is an indicator of a loose belt; either serpentine or drive belt. The belt maintains tension when the tensioner pulley is fully functional. However, a belt will wear out over time to the point the the tensioner will not be able to maintain the correct tension.

The guessing game can be eliminated if you contact one of our local mechanics to complete a noise inspection. This will allow them to inspect the engine to determine the precise source of the problem and recommend or assist you the correct repairs. Best of luck.