Q: White smoke coming from hood

I have a 1997 Nissan Altima where on yesterday, I noticed that white smoke was coming from the hood. I am not sure where it was coming up then as the car ran, it started to stall and then check engine like came on. Now, my car will not start. When starting the car, the lights and radio comes on so I am assuming that it is not the battery. Could it be that the engine is blown? If so, what is the estimated price to rebuild an engine or to get an used one. I am not in the position of getting another car so that's why I am interested to learning more about this. Thanks!

Hi there. White smoke coming from the engine is typically steam as opposed to oil burning, so it’s quite possible that you may have a coolant leak or other issue not related to an engine failure. When the check engine light illuminates on the dashboard, it is due to the fact that the ECU (cars computer system) has detected an error from a sensor or mechanical system. This is actually good news as it makes diagnosing the source of these issue much easier for a professional mobile mechanic. The first thing I would do is have one of our mobile mechanics come to your location and complete a smoke coming from engine inspection first. This will allow them to determine what is causing your issues and recommend the right repairs. In regards to rebuilding engines, or replacement engines, that tends to get rather pricey, typically above $1,500 in most cases; so hopefully your issues are small and can be fixed by one of our mobile mechanics.

3. White smoke coming from hood