Q: I'm hearing a whining noise from the front of the car.

I started hearing a whining noise from the front of the car two days ago and believe that it is coming from the timing belt/ pulley system. It is loudest when my car is idling and can not be heard when in motion. When reducing speed, the sound can be heard again from around 10mph back to idle. What is the potential issue, and how much will it cost to have someone take a look at it so I know what is broken and what the cost of repairs may be? Thank you

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1391.75 Get a Quote
Power Steering Pump Replacement $158.61 - $1631.96 Get a Quote

Hi There, Generally speaking there are two things that can make a whining sound under the hood that would depend on the belt and the speed at which it turns. The alternator will tend to make a whining noise when it is beginning to fail as the bearings begin to wear out. This will also be noticed by an eventual drop in system voltage as well as indicated on your amperage gauge in the dash.

The power steering pump will also make a bit of a whining sound as well, but will sound distinctly different from the sound that the alternator will make, but will be more consistent. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.