Q: What is the brake over accelerator feature?

What is the brake over accelerator feature?

Your car offers a brake over accelerator system intended to help combat a stuck or sticking gas pedal. It’s designed to provide safety, but you need to know how to use the system to make the most of it. This is what you need to do if the gas pedal in your car gets stuck:

• Press the brake pedal firmly. The vehicle should begin to slow and the engine should lose power (while you keep your foot on the brake).

• Slow the car down and find somewhere safe to pull over.

• Cut off the engine.

• Put the transmission in park.

• Engage the parking brake.

• Check the gas pedal for anything that might be keeping it locked in position (loose objects in the floor, a loose floor mat, etc.).

• Remove the item/object and restart the engine. If you don’t find anything, restart the engine.

• If the gas pedal is still sticking, have the car serviced immediately.

Tip

If the gas pedal is still sticking, have the car towed. Don’t try to drive it.

3. What is the brake over accelerator feature?