Q: How do I replace the battery in my key?

asked by on December 14, 2015

How do I replace the battery in my key?

Your key is electronic. That’s what allows the remote to communicate with the various systems on the car. Like all batteries, it will eventually die and need to be replaced. It should last for several years between replacements, though. Here’s what to do if your remote isn’t working anymore:

• Make sure you have a replacement battery. For a standard key and remote, you’ll need a CR2016. For a smart key system, you’ll need a CR1632.

Battery Replacement for a Standard Key

1. Use a flathead screwdriver and pry the two halves of the key/remote apart.

2. Flip the key over and locate the module. Remove it.

3. Remove the old battery.

4. Replace the new battery (make sure to have the + sign facing upwards).

5. Close the battery and make sure the remote works.

Battery Replacement for a Smart Key

1. Remove the mechanical key insert from the remote.

2. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry apart the cover.

3. Locate the battery. Remove it.

4. Replace it with the new battery. Make sure the + sign is up.

5. Close the remote.

6. Make sure the remote works.

Tips

You may need to replace the remote battery if the remote stops working, or if you notice the range is reduced.