Q: Knocking noise - 2005 Scion xA

that noise seems to come from the power stirring pump pulley, I look at a schematic of the pump and it seems that pulley is connected with a shaft going inside the pump, can that pulley and the axle be replaced without replacing the whole pump, it may be chipper? the pump itself works fine.

Hello. Assemblies such as power steering pumps can often be rebuilt or repaired, but the economics of it are usually only attractive to car enthusiasts or hobbyists. That is, IF there is something wrong with the pump, it is much cheaper to buy a rebuilt one and often you will even get a lifetime warranty if you buy it from one of the national chain store parts vendors.

Really, though, the first thing to do is get a definitive diagnosis because there are quite a few moving parts in that vicinity that can cause noise and sometimes one source is mistaken for another. Also, given the amount of mileage you have on the engine, you might indeed have more than one part causing the noise you are hearing. If you need an expert to take a look, consider consulting a professional technician from YourMechanic to come to your home or office and diagnose the noise firsthand. They can advise on a repair and also replace the power steering pump or just the pulley for you if found faulty.