Q: when coming to a stop, my truck has a binding/clunking noise in the rear end

When i come to a stop, i can feel what seems to be binding coming from the rear end of the truck. i can also hear a deep clunking noise. it is particularly worse when i have a large trailer with a load on it. i have put on new axle bearings and seals, replaced the fluid, and i have run out of ideas. i have inspected it and i dont see any major signs of damage on the planetary gears.

Hello, thank you for writing in. While the components you have looked into are great inspections considering you tow often, lets start a little simpler and work our way down the list. Since this is happening while you are braking, you should start with a full brake inspection. Check the condition of your brake fluid, pads (or shoes if equipped), lines, master cylinder, booster, guide pins, and condition of the rotors (or drums). A visual inspection will only take you so far, and testing the rotors for example will need to be done with more precise measurements. Then look into your wheel bearings and the rest of the wheel assemblies. Your suspension and steering components also play a huge role in how the vehicle rides under load. For more help diagnosing and resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

• when coming to a stop, my truck has a binding/clunking noise in the rear end