Q: Stripped screws on seal - 1998 Volvo S90

asked by on September 29, 2016

I replaced my rear cam seals last weekend but discovered that both screws were stripped on the one that’s leaking. It looks like the previous owner caused this. My oil leak isn’t really bad. So I wondered how long I can go without replacing the seal. How much oil is too much to leak, and will it get worse?

Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. Any oil leak can become a really serious issue. It can remain a small, and smelly nuisance, or it can cause a fire. You need to fix it as soon as possible. The easiest and fastest way to repair this would be to remove the bolts and install helicoils into the holes. These bolts do not require much torque so this should be a good repair that will take care of the leak. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your home or office to diagnose the leak and assist with repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr