Q: Cranks, will start if check engine light goes off. If light stays on, no start

asked by on February 25, 2017

I have the start switch pulled down from column. If i crank the truck and the check engine light goes off she fires right up, if the light stays on truck does not start. I thought I had it narrowed down to one small wire on the block connector to switch and today it will not start again. I sprayed with contact cleaner the other day and was waiting to try it again and not sure what has changed, wiggling that wire was working previously.

If you have the ignition switch out of the vehicle then you may be getting a switch that is not making good contact internally. I would first recommend replacing the ignition switch and checking connector for any problems in the connector and replace connector if any pins are melted.