Q: My gas gauge keeps fluctuating from empty to full and everything in between.

asked by on October 20, 2016

When I drive my car the gas gauge fluctuates between empty and full and I never really know how much gas is in the tank and when I park it the meter doesn't usually go back to e like it's supposed to. What can be the cause of this? And what's the typical repair price?

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote
Fuel Pump Replacement $129.49 - $1235.95 Get a Quote

The symptoms you are having may be related to a mechanical issue, or an electrical issue. If the problem is electrical, you will want to check the wiring terminal that connects to the fuel pump. You may need to drop the tank to access it. It will be beneficial to do so, if the problem is instead the float. On certain models of your vehicle there is an access panel that allows you to access the pump and electronics without dropping the tank.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I recommend having one of our mobile technicians diagnose the issue with the fuel component and service your fuel pump if necessary.