Q: Keep getting p1404 code on a 2003 Chevy malibu

Hello, I have just purchased a 2003 malibu but the engine light keeps coming on. It reads on my scanner as p1404 and I removed the egr valve and cleaned it. Problem persists. Remove again and replace gasket and took the top off the egr valve and pushed the pintle down and cleaned thoroughly with carburetor and same thing.... do I need to replace the valve or am I missing something? Thanks!

It is very possible that the egr valve itelf is the cause. It is also possible that the egr tube could be clogged up.

3. Keep getting p1404 code on a 2003 Chevy malibu