Q: Leaking fluid in front of pumpkin rear axle where drive shaft connects to get. Not sure if i have a bad rear pinion seal

asked by on March 12, 2017

Leaking fluid by rear pumkin casing where rear drive shaft connects. Not sure if i have a bad rear pinion seal or some thing else going on

With the age of the vehicle, a worn / failed pinion seal is the most likely cause. Inspect the pumpkin and cover for any damage. If it is apparent that the pinion seal is leaking, make sure the pinion bearing is inspected for excessive play. A worn bearing can eat through a new seal quickly. Have a certified technician inspect the axle and if found to be the cause, replace the pinion seal. Have it done as soon as possible. At the same time, have the axle seals inspected as well. Low gear oil level in the axle will damage gears and bearings in no time.