Q: I have a 1990 Chevy 4x4 short wheel base step side with an automatic transmission.

Transmission acts like neutral in all gears except park also the four high on the transfer case acts like neutral front drive shaft will spin by hand but four low in gauges you can not spin it by hand also when you put it in four low you still can not get the truck to move the front drive shaft in gauges but truck still acts like it is in neutral

If the front drive shaft is spinning and not able to be engaged, then the chain in the transfer case could be broken. For the transmission to be in neutral in all the gears, but lock up in the park gear, then the clutches are not engaging. Check the transmission fluid to see if its at the correct level and that it is red in color. If the fluid is full and red in color, then the transmission pump is not working or the scarf cut seals on the input shaft are torn and leaking. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your drivetrain.

• I have a 1990 Chevy 4x4 short wheel base step side with an automatic transmission.